FAQ

This section will help consumers with pool or spa questions or problems.  If you have any questions that are not answered here, let us know.  You can email us at randy@greenwoodpools.com.  If you have any tips you would like us to pass on to other pool or spa owners, please let us know and we can list them on this page.

 

Q:  After adding shock to my pool, when is it OK to swim?

A:  The best time to add shock is in the evening.  Before re-entering the pool, test your chlorine level.  The pool is ready for swimming once the chlorine level is below 3.0 ppm.  Swimmers may re-enter the pool 15 minutes after it has been shocked if BioGuard Smart Shock is used.

 

Q:  I have insects above and below the surface of my pool water.  What else can I do besides using a skimmer?

A.  An application of BioGuard Back-Up Algae Inhibitor will drown the remaining insects.  Algicide decreases the water surface tension, reducing an insect’s ability to carry “breathing air” below the water.  A shock treatment will also kill insects or drive them away from the pool.  Then vacuum dead insects from the bottom of the pool.

 

Q:  Why can’t I get a chlorine reading in my pool water?

A.  This may be due to a very high chlorine demand.  Three common causes of high chlorine demand are:  contamination through the winter months, low pH and low chlorine stabilizer levels.  Symptoms can include slimy or slick pool walls and cloudy water.  Test and adjust pH to 7.4-7.6 and stabilizer to a minimum of 30 ppm.  At night, add 2 lbs of shock per 10,000 gallons of water, recheck the chlorine reading the next day.  Continue to follow this dosage procedure daily until your chlorine residual reaches 1.0-3.0 ppm.  You can also bring us a water sample and we can perform a chlorine demand test and give you the proper dosage.  This test takes at least 8 hours to get results.

Q:  Why does our pool water sometimes burn our eyes?

A:  This can be caused by an improper pH.  Test and adjust your pH to 7.4-7.6.  Another cause could be chloramines, also known as combined chlorine.  This problem results when the chlorine you are using attacks and combines with compounds in your pool (bacteria, sweat, suntan lotion), causing irritation to your eyes and a chlorine odor.  To treat for combined chlorine, add 1 lb. of shock per 10,000 gallons of pool water.  You should shock twice a month, after heavy pool use and after rainstorms to prevent future problems.

 

Q:  My pool water turned green almost immediately after I shocked it.  How do I clear up the water?

A:  This discoloration is likely the result of metals in your pool water.  When shock is added, the metals came or fell out of solution, resulting in a brown or turquoise, purpose or green discoloration to the water.  Discoloration can occur when untreated metals are present in your pool water from corroding equipment, source water, dirt, toys or pennies.  To clear up water, add three quarters of BioGuard Pool Magnet Plus per 10,000 gallons of water.  One hour after adding products, check pH and adjust as needed.